Thursday, April 18, 2013

6 Opinions


We started this blog so that we could share our opinions with one another and anyone else who is interested.  But as I look back at our posts, I see few opinions.  Some great information is there, and even more, some interesting stories.  But not as many opinions as I thought we might have.

I know that I have hesitated to share my opinions because of fear.  Fear that I will offend someone.  Fear that you might not like me after you hear my opinions.  Fear that I will get argumentative if you disagree with my opinion (so counter-productive).  Fear.

Last night I was reading a great blog I found.  She chronicled how and why she has blogged over the years.  She is a writer by nature.  But somewhere in the vast array of posts, she shared how scary it is to blog; because to write your innermost thoughts and feelings to share with others makes you vulnerable.  It exposes you -rips off masks, creates fear.

Today, I’m conquering this particular fear. 

In my opinion, the single most important decision you will ever make in your life is to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior.

There, it’s out there now.  I’m a Christian.

There is so much hate in the world now for Christians -so many fingers pointing to Christians as haters.  I don’t want to be hated.  I am not a hater.

If you were drowning and I did not point you to water, I would be a terrible person.  That is how most Christians feel about sharing their faith.  We know that the only escape from an eternal separation from God is to know that Jesus Christ is His only Son.  That Jesus died on the cross as remediation for my sins and yours. 

I was raised in THE South, in the bible belt (yes we still think of it as THE South).  You really couldn't avoid church or talking about Christ if you tried.  But it was not until I was in college that Jesus became my Lord and Savior.

I was attending a holy rolling, shouting and hollering, charismatic church service with a friend and sat there thinking the whole time – “GOD get me out of here.  I don’t want to be part of another Jim Jones and Guyana” (some of you younger people will have to look that up).  But it was truly the first service I had been to where the pastor said –“blah, blah, blah…and you know how I know?  The bible says so right here in John 10:12…let’s look it up.”  Yep…right there in church he got his bible and looked up scripture. “Wow”…I know you are thinking…what type of church did you go to before?  A dry dead one.


After months of learning more about Jesus and the bible I realized I had head knowledge but no heart knowledge.  Just like I knew who Margaret Thatcher was but I did not know her.  I had factual information about Him but no personal knowledge of Him.  I wanted that to change.  I wanted the joy I saw on the faces of other Christians who knew Him.  Who walked with Him daily. 

At the age of 23 I invited Christ into my heart and life to be my Lord and Savior. 

Does that mean my life got suddenly greater and all my trials and tribulations went away?  Quite the contrary.  But it means that I no longer have to face any of that alone.  I've also been given a guideline on how to handle and deal with that stuff.

Jesus died on the cross so that ALL can be rescued from hell and damnation, literal hell and hell here on earth. Not all will choose to accept Him.  But for those of us who do, it is our calling to tell others about Him, and how He is our access to the Father, eternally.

I’ll reiterate…accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior is the single most important decision you will ever make in your life. 

That’s my opinion.  What’s yours?

Debora

If you want to know more, but don’t want to learn publicly, shoot me an email. 




1 comment:

  1. My Opinion and I do have one.

    First, I respect everyone's personal beliefs Debora however my opinion is simply this:

    Organized Religion is a choice made (hopefully) by each individual and not handed down by those in power (i.e. parents, governments)or forced down our throats by those who fail to recognize that others may not agree with their beliefs.

    With all due respect, I personally think that there is something not quite right about having to push your religion or bully people to join your beliefs.

    My thought is simply that the 'single most important decision you can make' is to inform yourself well, choose wisely or even not at all, before jumping onto someone elses bandwagon.

    As a child I was encouraged by my father (who as a child had religion forced upon him) to learn about all religions and make my own choice. This involved(by my choice)going to many different church services (sometimes the choice of Sunday School was made by what kind of prize they gave out for memorizing palms, I was a great memorizer)and reading the bible, which I agree has some very interesting (although questionable) stories in it. I love reading so I treated it as just another book and even though we had a copy that eliminated the thee and thou's to make it easy reading it still wasn't on my personal 'best seller' list.

    As a young adult I knew very early on that organized religion was not for me and after taking Buddhist instuction I knew that Buddhism with it's lack of dogma, equality towards females and respect for and of other's beliefs resonated with me and became my personal cup of tea.

    Following Buddhism is for me both a philosophy and a way of life and I am adament about NOT encouraging anyone else to become Buddhist because as I said Religion, Spirituality, Beliefs of any kind should come from within, be a personal choice and match your needs and desires not someone else's.

    wherever you go there you are...
    Trish

    ReplyDelete